Before you enter the flooded premise you need to make sure you are properly protected from the potentially dangerous biohazards, chemicals, bacteria, mould from the floodwaters. (refer to our “What is mould?” document to learn more)
You do this by wearing:
- A proper fitting mask or respirator with a P2 or N95 filter or greater
- Disposable gloves
- Sealed eye protection
- And with fully flooded premise an asbestos grade disposable coveralls
Make sure no one enters the area without wearing a PPE suit.
A step-by-step guide
- Remove all items and furniture out of the premise
- Heavily spray all surfaces with a proven disinfectant (Refer to our “What products to use to kill mould”)
- Allow the disinfectant to sit for 10-15 mins
- Clean out the area with water from a hose or pressure cleaner
- Scrub down all surfaces with the disinfectant until clean
- Consult your builder as to whether walls and linings need to be removed and replaced
- Dry the whole area out via the use of fans, dehumidifiers, and products like damp rid. (this may take days or weeks)
Once these steps have been followed and your builder has okayed the buildings structural integrity, you will most likely be able to move your cleaned or new items and furniture back inside. Once you have followed these steps you still may find that mould is appearing. This happened because the main body of mould is behind the surface and not what you can see. What this means is that even though you have cleaned the surface with a proven mould killing product, you haven’t killed what is inside the surface. Traditionally mould killing products don’t offer protection after you use it, allowing the mould to eventually grow through again.
So, what do I do?
The first option is to remove the material the mould is growing through (e.g. gyprock, timber etc) and replace it with new material. This is generally costly but may be necessary. Another option is to have your whole indoor area treated with Forcefield, which not only kills >99.99% Germs, Bacteria and Mould but is the ONLY product in Australia that offers protection for up to 12 months after a single application.
Forcefield creates a mould “forcefield” within the buildings, making a safe space for you to use. This may be all that is required to keep moving forward or it gives you time to consult with your mould remediator, builder, and insurance companies